FAQs - About IQ
- What is the Institute of Quarrying?
- When did the Institute start?
- How does it operate?
- Where does the Institute's Coat of Arms originate?
What is the Institute of Quarrying?
The Institute of Quarrying is the international professional body for quarrying, construction materials and the related extractive and processing industries, with over 5,000 members in some 50 countries of the world (click here to see an analysis of the Institute's world-wide membership). Membership is open to individuals, rather than companies, and the Institute's long-term objective is to promote progressive improvements in all aspects of operational performance through the medium of education and training.
The Institute believes education and training is a life-long opportunity which should be viewed in the broadest terms, starting with initial qualifications gained at college, university or through distance-learning programmes. This is followed by continuing professional development through attendance at conferences, seminars, training courses, competence assessment schemes, workshops, technical meetings, site visits and the updating of knowledge by reading the Institute's journals, technical and management papers and handbooks.
By utilizing these resources, members not only have a means of establishing successful careers in a major industry which supplies society with some of its most basic needs, but also have the opportunity to be part of a growing network of professionals around the world committed to the advancement and sharing of knowledge.
The promotion of high standards of health and safety, together with a progressive attitude towards environmental and social responsibility, also rank prominently in the Institute's order of priorities. This manifests itself through the encouragement of best practice in both quarrying operations and community relations, so that members can be efficient producers, responsible stewards of the environment and 'good neighbours' in the areas where they work.
When did the Institute start?
The Institute's origins can be traced back to the first meeting of The Association of Quarry Managers on 19 October, 1917.
How does it operate?
The Institute has individual members all over the world (click here to see an analysis of the Institute's world-wide membership). Where these are most numerous - Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Southern Africa and the United Kingdom - national sections are constituted as ‘not-for-profit' organisations. These sections co-ordinate countrywide programmes which are largely centred on the activities of locally based branches or groups. Most recently, the overseas branches in Australia, New Zealand, Malasia and Southern Africa have become Affiliated National Institutes or Branches and exercise considerable independence (see the Contact Us page).
These branches are run by an elected committee and they arrange their own programme of meetings, visits and social events and are represented on the national committee or council. Also it goes without saying that branch officers are always pleased to see new faces at their meetings, seminars, dinners etc it which a warm welcome is extended to everyone.
The largest membership group remains in the UK, where the Institute was founded in 1917, today it has some 3,000 members throughout England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. For more information about branches in the UK, click here.
Australia, with 1,300 members, constitutes the largest group in the Pacific region and close ties are maintained with their neighbours in New Zealand and Malaysia, which both have around 350 members. To the north, 150 members are based in Hong Kong, operating both in the territory and the adjacent area of the People's Republic of China. The Institute's activities in southern Africa are centred on South Africa which provides support for members in other countries of the region.
Liaison at international level takes place through a newly-formed Presidents' Committee meeting annually in conjunction with one of the national conferences.
Where does the Institute's Coat of Arms originate?
The Institute's Coat of Arms was designed at the College of Arms in London and granted in 1958. The college is part of the royal household and it is responsible for both issuing and controlling the use of all armorial bearings through the Law of Arms.
The Institute's Coat of Arms symbolises the origin, aims and scope of the organisation. The octagonal stone tower on the shield is in the style of Caernarfon Castle, the town of the Institute's birth. The two hammers or jads represent the ancient tools of the trade and the coronet in between is composed of wattle flowers to reflect the link with Australia and the trefoil, or shamrock, with Ireland.
On top of the helmet is the crest - a quarry face with green-topped overburden surmounted by the lion of Scotland and in it's paws is the key which is recorded as symbolising knowledge and freedom, and is also representative of the Institute's commitment to safety.
A meaningful translation of the latin motto is 'The fruits of the earth for the children of men'.
The original Patent of Arms is kept on display at the Institute's headquarters in Nottingham.