Mineral Planning - Current threats
Spencer Warren from Heaton Planning
With over 15 years experience in the industry, Spencer is the Director of Heaton Planning who specialise in minerals and waste planning matters.
This months 'Lunch & Learn' session will take a look at planning issues surrounding the safeguarding of surface and underground mineral resources, based on current planning policy and guidance. We will be focusing on key areas including:
- Identifying what are considered to be the threats to the Mineral Planning System
- An industry / operators perspective;
- The thoughts of a mineral planning authority; and
- The thoughts / views of a mineral planning consultant.
- How do these threats influence the industry?
- A brief review of the MPA 6th Annual Mineral Planning Survey Report 2017;
- The Local Plan system;
- Numbers of planning applications; and
- Timescales for determination of planning applications.
- The need for Safeguarding and avoiding Sterilisation
- Engagement at the District / Borough level of planning and balancing the needs of housing / employment development with that of minerals security and supply.
- Other factors influencing the planning system
- Skills gap in the planning profession;
- Accountability – numerous environmental / non-governmental bodies;
- Engagement with the local community – pressures of social media.
- Understanding the system and recognising the opportunities it can provide.