The Scottish Branch continued its 2015-16 calendar with a CPD day, held on Tuesday 16th February at the Stirling Court Hotel. The day was supported by a turnout of 140 members.The day began with an introduction from branch chairman Malcolm Stewart, who gave a brief insight into the keynote presentations planned for the day;
Workforce Engagement - David Johnson, Jabez Safety Solutions
- Workforce engagement.
- An overview of Regulation 40 of the Quarry regulations and ACOP.
- The benefits of worker engagement.
- The consequences of failing to engage.
Safety from a contractors view - Keith Oakes, Finning
- Working together to achieve a consistent approach to health & safety on sites.
- Keeping your employees and our engineer’s safe whilst working on your sites.
Safer by Sharing - Kevin Stevens, MPA
- To share or not to share
- Sharing best practice
- Incident alerts with real life examples
Current Topics - Mike Tetley, HSE
- The real meaning of Reg 40 - Quarry Regs 1999
- Have you read it?
- Do you understand it?
Managing Contractors - Colin Nottage, IMG
- Challenging Contractors behaviours
- Pre-vetting through induction and onsite assessment
- Your workforce being eyes and ears when contractors are on site
Handling Conflict - Saffron Grant, Civil Engineer
- Specialises in working in male dominated workforces to improve their wellbeing.
- Reduce the need for unnecessary conflict,
- To prevent conflict escalating or to end up with a positive outcome when a situation does come to a head.
CDM 2015 - Graeme Smith, Fairhurst (Partnership)
- How it affects the Quarrying industry
- What type of activities does it cover
- Appointment of Duty Holders
The day concluded with closing remarks from branch chairman Malcolm Stewart.
Thanks was given to all the speakers, attendees, committee members and the venue staff for the support of our branch in this year’s CPD day.