Over 100 applications, six hours of judging and four regional ceremonies later, the national finalists of the Institute of Quarrying (IQ) Excellence Awards have been revealed.
With each regional winner automatically put forward to compete for the overall title in each category, it’s now all eyes on Hillhead, the biggest quarrying exhibition of its kind in the world. The finalists will find out their fate at the awards dinner on 24 June at Devonshire Dome in the heart of Buxton.
National IQ Excellence Awards Finalists
STANDARDS & PROFESSIONALISM
Best Personal Development Project
- Rema Tip Top Industry UK Ltd - Conveyor Confidence Through Understanding (North of England winner)
- Quinn Building Products - Quinn Safety Hub (Northern Ireland winner)
- Chepstow Plant International - Project Fusion (South & Wales winner)
Health & Safety Individual Excellence
- Ben Williams, Managing Director at EPC-UK (North of England)
- Mary Carter, Director at ELC Vocational Assessment & Safety (South & Wales)
- Brian Binnie, Denfind Stone (Scotland)
Most Effective Process Improvement
- Aggregate Industries - Wash Plant Improvement Project (North of England)
- CDE Global Ltd - SmartTech Pilot Study (Northern Ireland)
- Smiths Bletchington - Static Plant Remote Monitoring Project (South & Wales)
- BAM Ritchies - Glensanda Drill & Blast (Scotland)
- Robin Gillespie, Area Operations Manager at Hanson UK (North of England)
- Philip Brain, Philip Brain Associates Ltd (South & Wales)
Best Community Engagement Project
- Longcliffe Quarries Ltd - Butterfly Conservation project (North of England)
- Raymond Brown Quarry Products Ltd - Raymond Brown Community Matters Initiative (South & Wales)
- Breedon Group - Highland Football League Sponsorship (Scotland)
- Susan Arnott, IQ North of England (North of England)
- Kieran Hegarty, President at Terex Materials Processing Division (Northern Ireland)
- Emily Burridge, Technical Production Manager Hanson UK (South & Wales)
Best Initiative to Engage Workforce or Team
- EPC-UK - Commit To Be Fit (North of England)
- Influential Management Ltd - The Interesting Health & Safety Podcast (South & Wales)
- Tom O'Boyle, Project Manager at Hanson UK (North of England)
- Ryan Reid, Graduate Mechanical Engineer at Roadstone Ltd (Northern Ireland)
- Daniel Jones, Aggregate Section Leader Tarmac (South & Wales)
- Bartosz Smoczek, Trainee Operations Manager at Breedon Group (Scotland)
Sarah Fry, Head of Membership and Marketing, IQ, said: “We launched the IQ Excellence Awards to celebrate the many successes in the mineral products industry. With so many fantastic and detailed submissions, it proved particularly difficult for our judges. After hours of analysis and following regional presentations for Scotland, Northern Ireland, North of England and South & Wales winners, we now have our shortlist for the grand final taking place in June at Hillhead.
“Anyone in the industry looking to make new contacts, meet up with colleagues or just catch up with former acquaintances is invited to attend the Awards Dinner. It promises to be an amazing evening.”
The IQ Excellence Awards celebrate exceptional achievements in the mineral products sector across the UK. Award categories are aligned to the different quadrants of the IQ Skills Wheel and recognise the positive impact professionals make across the country.
For more information, and to buy tickets, follow this link.