The Institute of Quarrying's Coat of Arms was designed at the College of Arms in London and granted in 1958.
The Coat of Arms symbolises the origin, aims and scope of the Institute. The octagonal stone tower on the shield is in the style of Caernarfon castle, the town of the Institute's birth. The two hammers or jads represent the ancient tools of the trade and the coronet in between is composed of wattle flowers to reflect the link with Australia and the trefoil, or shamrock, with Ireland.
On top of the helmet is the crest - a quarry face with green-topped overburden surmounted by the lion of Scotland and in its paws is the key which is recorded as symbolising knowledge and freedom, although it has been advised that it is also representative of the Institute's commitment to safety.
A back issue of the Journal records that the latin motto Terram autem filiis hominum was inspired by a quotation from Psalm 115 which reads: 'The heaven, even the heavens, are the Lord's, but the earth he hath given to the children of men.'
Latin scholars advise, however, a more meaningful translation is the fruits of the earth for the children of men